My Favorite Places/Things in New Orleans

Instead of following the Dawgs this weekend to Jacksonville, I am taking a trip with my boyfriend down to my favorite place, New Orleans. Growing up, I spent half of my summers in this area of Louisiana. With it being my boyfriend's first time in New Orleans, I have laid out all of the must-see locations and experiences. Often, my friends ask me where they should go and what they should do when going to New Orleans as well. Even though there are many lists like this online I figured I would give mine. Here are the "must-do"/"must see" things when going to New Orleans.

1) Bourbon Street
I just want to start with this to get it out of the way. Bourbon street is a magical place that smells like beer and puke. While the smell is horrible, it can be a fun place to explore. It is one of the most tourist-y places and is line with stores that each have the same cheap t-shirts and shot glasses inside. I have been many years and the content is the same each time. However, in-between these stores are many kinds of bars, each with its own gimmick. The cool part about New Orleans is that you can walk around with alcohol, and with its numerous bars, Bourbon street makes this an easy activity. So, my recommendation is to definitely go see bourbon street but do not plan to spend your entire vacay here, as it does not hold much substance beyond drinks and souvenirs.

Image result for bourbon street

2) Po-Boys
This is a staple of the Louisiana diet. A lot of southern states like to claim it as their sandwich, however its original birthplace was in New Orleans. This is something that you must try if you are in the area. I have yet to find a po-boy outside of the state that comes close to what you can find there. According to wikipedia, a po-boy is a sandwich that "almost always consists of meat, which is usually sloppy roast beef or fried seafood." My personal favorite is a half fried oyster, half fried shrimp po-boy.

Image result for po boy

3) The French Quarter
This is where you should plan to spend most of your time. The quarter is the oldest part of New Orleans. It is easily identified by the wrought-iron detail on the balconies and the historic buildings. This weekend I decided to try something new and scheduled a night tour of the French Quarter to search for Ghosts. You can really understand the heart of the city by walking the streets of the French Quarter and listening to jazz bands play on corners, seeing fortunes being told, and watching artist do their work. It truly is a unique experience.

Image result for the french quarter


4) Cafe Du Monde
Finally, I promise you, you have not had a beignet unless you have been to this coffee shop. With the original location in the middle of the French Quarter, this is a necessity. Beignets are fried, french donuts that are rectangular and cover in powdered sugar. Eating them while sipping on coffee in the shade while watching the people in the French Quarter is a great way to start any morning of exploring. It is by far my favorite spot. There are drive through locations located around New Orleans, but nothing beats the quarter location.

Image result for cafe du mondeImage result for cafe du monde

What are your favorite places to visit?

Comments

  1. I love this list! I've always wanted to visit New Orleans and this list really lays out a good amount of things to hit in a short weekend trip. The short descriptions also lay out exactly what to expect without holding out on details (I laughed at the description of Bourbon Street).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I seriously loved everything that you laid out! I've always wanted to visit New Orleans and you made me so much more excited about my trip in February that I'm taking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! I've been to New Orleans before and I did a lot of these! I need to try Bourbon street again because it was not the best experience, but I want to give it another chance. I also didn't have a po-boy and I want to try it if I go back! My favorite was Cafe Du Monde. A beignet is the best thing I've ever tasted and it was amazing! I want to go back!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this! I have always loved New Orleans, and would 100% recommend all the places you mentioned as well. You definitely did your research! I really liked how you included short descriptions and made them creative, it is clear you know what you are talking about. I think people visiting New Orleans for the first time, or even multiple times, would really appreciate reading this list.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Nannying Job from Hell: a rant on modern marketing

Monthly Beauty Subscriptions are Impacting the Beauty Industry